Principal (Green Financing Team)
Report to: Chief Investment Officer & Head of Corporate Investment & Credit
Application deadline for the position is June 14, 2021
Guided by Karandaaz vision, we believe that every Pakistani deserves to be Financially Included and Economically Empowered. Our Mission at Karandaaz is to Foster economic growth and create jobs through financial inclusion of unbanked individuals and unserved enterprises.
Karandaaz Pakistan is a Non-profit organization, based out of Islamabad, registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan under Section 42 of the Companies Act 2017. We are supported by Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). Karandaaz is governed by an eminent board who set the strategy of the organization and steer it towards achievement of its objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Green will be responsible for and will have expertise in solar/renewable energy project financing. The incumbent should have deep knowledge of RE/EE on a global landscape and specifically in Pakistan. He/she will interact with key stakeholders, including regulatory bodies, banks, small and medium enterprises and renewable energy solution providers and should have the ability to originate structure and finance investments keeping in mind the development impact.
The core functions and responsibilities include the following:
- Lead detailed industry analysis (market size and growth, structure and value chain, competitive landscape etc.) for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in key target industries
- Experience in originating and executing private equity and/or corporate investment transactions as a principal investor or advisor
- Lead the initiation, evaluation and execution of investment transactions (screening, valuation, structuring, term sheets, negotiations, documentation, value enhancement plan, exit) to invest Green capital for RE/EE projects with potential for profitable growth and sustainable job creation
- Lead and oversee energy audits either directly or through consultants to determine eligibility and viability of replacing existing equipment with energy efficient alternatives
- Review and oversee the tracking of government incentives in adoption of RE/EE technology in Pakistan and build financing products around those schemes in partnership with financial institutions
- Structure equity and credit products to invest long-term Green capital with potential for profitable growth and sustainable job creation
- Under supervision of the CIO, manage and lead transaction teams
- Prepare Investment Committee and Board documentation
Education and Experience
- Masters’ level degree in business, economics, accounting or related discipline from a reputable international or Pakistani institution. Certificate or degree in alternate energy will be given preference
- Minimum 12 years of experience in a principal investing, impact investing, investment banking, corporate finance, management consulting or M&A group of a recognized multinational corporation
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience of blended financing and Investment banking with international or local financial institutions
- Preference will be given to candidates having experience with:
- solar/renewable project financing;
- energy audit of equipment either directly or through consultants;
- working with an energy generation equipment supplier;
- funding of alternate energy projects at a bank or a private equity fund.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Self-starter, motivated to build a high impact investment business for micro, small and medium size enterprises in Pakistan preferably within the energy and finance sector
- Strong command of oral and written English and conversant in Urdu/regional languages
Culture and Values at Karandaaz
Karandaaz Culture is guided by our values of Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Equity (ICARE). These values shape our choices on what we do and how we do it, both with colleagues internally and partners externally. We also believe that we are all responsible for creating a great place to work and are constantly looking to hire individuals who bring the same level of passion and commitment to the purpose of the organization.
If you believe in Karandaaz vision and values and feel excited about the work we are offering, please send us your application for this position to email@example.com clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line. We will be accepting submissions till 14th June, 2021.
Karandaaz is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities and encouraged to apply.