Consultant, Digital Financial Services
Terms of Reference:
Karandaaz Pakistan (“Company”), is a not for profit company, set up by Department for International Development UK (“DFID”) for the implementation of the Enterprise and Asset Growth Programme. The company was incorporated in August 2014. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (“BMGF”) has set up a Digital Financial Services Unit within Company for increasing the reach of financial services through the use of innovative digital technologies. The objectives for DFS unit, all of which are aimed at poor, rural, or otherwise excluded population segments are to: 1) Drive government payments onto digital platforms and develop new digital payment use cases for the public sector; 2) Work with commercial providers to test new digital payment innovations; 3) Conduct regulatory and policy analysis and advocacy to address the remaining policy barriers to digital financial inclusion; and 4) Create public goods to accelerate diffusion of best practices.
Karandaaz Pakistan is seeking the services of an individual consultant (“Consultant”) who has substantial experience in mobile money and mobile financial services consulting experience in multiple markets in Asia, Africa or South America. The consultant will be based in Islamabad, Pakistan and will be reporting to Director Digital Financial Services, Karandaaz Pakistan. An initial contract for six months will be signed which can be extended for an additional six months. The specific terms of reference are specified below:
- The consultant will support the team in the development of work plans and operational plans including identification of potential interventions by identifying project notes which can form the basis of project identification
- The consultant will provide support in scoping, designing and developing detailed projects to increase the digitization of payments in different public sector entities in partnership with relevant entities. The support will entail development of detailed project document including scope, goals, responsibilities, cost, milestones and work plans
- Assist in the design of new digital financial innovations which can be tested in partnership with digital financial service providers.
- Assist in the development of technical feasibility study or evaluation of a technical feasibility study
- Help in the identification of project benefit and project risks while identifying the linkage with the results framework
- Provide support during the interaction of digital financial services team with mobile financial service providers, banks, regulators
- Assist in defining Terms of Reference for the selection of the short-term and long-term consultants to be engaged for implementation of projects and provide support in the selection of consultants
- Provide input on technical aspects of the projects and assist in the development of frameworks for the selection of the right technology platform or systems for the implementation of complex projects
- Provide support in the selection of the teams and project management units for different projects
- Help in identifying key research themes and topics which cover the digital financial services areas
- Help in critical evaluation of grant proposals received from Fintechs, public sector entities and private sector firms
- Perform ongoing assessment of opportunities for further coordination and strategic partnership with fin-tech firms, locally and globally
Any other task mutually agreed between the parties
- At least Master’s level degree
- A minimum of ten year professional, international experience in mobile money, mobile financial services, technology-based financial services
- Ability to interact and work with senior level government officials and private business professionals in banks and telcos
- Demonstrable experience of development and implementation of new business models and digital financial products
- Experience of implementing complex projects or providing consulting support in the implementation of complex projects
- Experience of developing innovative payment solutions to extend the reach of financial services to unbanked populations
- Prior experience of working in Pakistan will be an added advantage
Note: Interested individuals, with a deep understanding of the digital financial services industry (mobile money, branchless banking, payment services etc), can send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position title in the subject line.
Application deadline for the position is October 09, 2016.