Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Report to: Karandaaz Board of Directors. (In particular, the Chairman)
Application deadline for the position is October 31, 2015
- Ensuring that the Karandaaz vision is clearly promoted, safeguarded and communicated internally and externally.
- Provides motivation and inspiration to staff members to create a culture that is innovative, forward looking and fosters creativity
Management and oversight
- Efficient and effective operation of Karandaaz Pakistan in a manner at all times consistent with the Articles/Memorandum of Association, Pakistani laws, grant agreements with donors and the policies and procedures adopted by the Board
- Oversee all HR matters related to staffing, employee compensation, benefits structure and performance appraisals.
- Creation of an effective organizational culture within Karandaaz to support its work, underpinned by appropriate specific working practices and reporting arrangements
- Establish Financial, Accounting, HR & Procurement procedures in compliance with the manuals approved by the Board
- Ensure that all processes and procedures are consistent with the local laws and are sufficiently detailed for regular reporting to donors and SECP.
- Quality assure all monitoring and progress reports required as per grant agreements with the donors
- Quality assure preparation of annual and quarterly financial budgets and cash-flow forecasts for all work streams
- Ensure that all disbursement targets are met within acceptable variance limits approved by the Board and agreed with the donors and provide advance alerts to the Board and donors with clear reasoning where such variances are likely
- Implement best-practice corporate governance, management, organizational structure and procedures, staff development, financial management, and risk management principles.
- Quality assure that Karandaaz investments have a clear line of sight and directly contribute to results agreed with donors through grant agreements
- Establish in-house M&E for tracking results, progress on activities and ensure that quality M&E/progress reports are furnished to the Board/donors
- Manage relationship with IFC on effective provision of TA in sync with Karandaaz investments
- Represent Karandaaz, authorized by the Board, in all donor meetings, negotiations and act as lead point of contact on Karandaaz behalf for annual performance reviews and special audit (if any) requested by the donors
External Relationship Management
- Establish and maintain contacts across the private sector, research institutes, government (e.g. Ministry of Finance, provincial governments), regulators and other donor agencies for maintaining wider consensus on national financial inclusion and leveraging opportunities for Karandaaz Pakistan interventions
- Establish a close coordination framework between Karandaaz and the State Bank of Pakistan for policy support and synergistic and coordinated investments by Financial Inclusion Programme and Enterprise and Asset Growth Programme (DFID’s funding source for Karandaaz Pakistan)
- Maintain knowledge partnerships with global knowledge platforms for advice and use of resources for MSME finance and digital financial inclusion
- Inspire market stakeholders by showcasing Karandaaz’s potential to influence Pakistani landscape for greater financial inclusion, MSME investments/credit and access to capital for high growth/high impact companies in the long run
- CEO will be responsible to the board for smooth functioning of Karandaaz in accordance with the policy framework laid out by the board.
- Apprises the board in a timely manner on the variance between agreed upon goals and Karandaaz performance. CEO will also make recommendations for improvement.
- Identify and highlight risks to Karandaaz Board and use its position and influencing for mitigation of these risks
Technical and Advisory Competencies
- The CEO, ideally supported with expert technical knowledge in one of Karandaaz’s work streams, will provide vision and oversee the operations under all core work streams (Corporate Investment and Credit, Digital Financial Services and Knowledge Management and Communications). More specifically, in the next 12-18 months, s/he is expected to perform following tasks:
- Oversee appraisal of the investment/business cases for equity investments by Karandaaz, particularly in a market-based, wholesale Microfinance platform, identify and manage risks for such investments, negotiate the deals, secure regulatory approvals if necessary, and design/implement a support/oversight framework for such investments.
- Oversee Corporate Investment and Credit (CIC) team’s work in developing pipeline and appropriate structuring of credit lending deals through partner financial institutions and in partnership with corporate and cluster/value chains
- Lead and oversee CIC team for developing an ‘equity investments strategy’ in line with the requirements of DFID’s Business Case on Enterprise and Asset Growth Programme
- Oversee design of Karandaaz Challenge Fund and manage its launch
- Ensure that Karandaaz develops a healthy and well diversified portfolio after sound due diligence and appropriate allocation of risks
- Oversee the identification and appraisal of programs and investments that will improve digital financial inclusion and seed and support innovative work in this space.
REQUIRED CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Creative thinker able to apply technologies to solve real world problems in imaginative ways
- A systems-level thinker able to think about the wider market and what interventions will bring about market growth
- Track record for “moving beyond the whiteboard” and into actual program implementation, showing the ability to adjust strategies and creatively identify new paths forward when facing obstacles
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset with a bias toward building/making/doing
- Knowledge across a range of technical areas including ICT project management, digital financial services, and mobile technology strongly preferred
- Understanding of BoP consumers and their financial needs and constraints strongly preferred
- Innovative, out-of-the box thinker who is hands-on and willing to go as deep or broad as necessary to achieve outcomes
- Demonstrated track record of effective leadership in senior management positions and ability to create and support a culture of innovation, learning and delivering results.
- Ability to develop high performance winning teams and individuals.
- Ability to earn and command respect of key market stakeholders: Business leaders, policy makers, regulators, investors and donors
- Professional track record displaying high levels of integrity and honesty.
- Demonstrated track record of being an effective negotiator.
Minimum Education and Experience
- A Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in finance, economics, management, business administration or related field is preferred.
- At least fifteen years of strong general and executive management experience preferably relevant to at least one of Karandaaz’s primary work streams.
- Relevant corporate and/or development sector experience at senior level is required. Knowledge and experience of Financial Markets, Investment Banking or relevant industries would be a plus.
- Experience of working with a board of directors, preferably as a CEO/Executive director.
- Experience of working with international donors preferred.
- Must enjoy a good professional reputation and should have strong linkages in the local market to complement Karandaaz’s work.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Interested candidates must submit their application by Saturday, October 31st, 2015 at email@example.com
Karandaaz Pakistan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.