Deputy Company Secretary
Report to: Director Operations & Company Secretary
Application deadline for the position is October 24, 2021
Guided by Karandaaz vision, we believe that every Pakistani deserves to be Financially Included and Economically Empowered. Our Mission at Karandaaz is to Foster economic growth and create jobs through financial inclusion of unbanked individuals and unserved enterprises.
Karandaaz Pakistan is a Non-profit organization, based out of Islamabad, registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan under Section 42 of the Companies Act 2017. We are supported by Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). Karandaaz is governed by an eminent board who set the strategy of the organization and steer it towards achievement of its objectives.
Karandaaz is seeking a seasoned Deputy Company Secretary who will be responsible for assisting the Director Operations and Company Secretary in management of Board and ensuring regulatory compliances.
The incumbent will provide support to the Director Operations and Company Secretary in a variety of secretarial and legal responsibilities including the following:
- Ensure compliance with the relevant provisions of Companies Law and rules made there-under and other statutes and bye-laws of the company
- Ensure compliance with best Corporate Governance Practices
- Provide efficient and effective legal support services
- Ensure the Company is legally protected in all its transactions, with customers and other third parties
- Ensure that business of the company is conducted in accordance with its objects as contained in its memorandum of association (MOA), articles of association (AOA) and Board Charter and advise the Company Secretary and other executives in respect of legal matter
- Support Company Secretary in convening of all General Body, Board and Board Committee meetings including scheduling of meetings, drafting and obtaining approval for agendas, collating and distributing working papers and presentations, preparing draft minutes of the meetings and follow-up action trackers and monitoring compliance of the action items
- Maintaining key corporate documents and records including all statutory registers, general body and board approvals, meeting trackers, attendance sheets and Board members information;
- Assist in annual board annual self-evaluation process through a third party
- Assist the Company Secretary on Nominations committee agendas, board members’ skill gap analysis and identification of possible candidates for filling casual vacancies
- Assist the CS in all statutory filings of forms with regulators including SECP (Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan) and EAD (Economic Affairs Division) along with filling for approvals for associated companies, addition or deletion of a Board Member etc;
- Draft appropriate briefing material to the donors and other stakeholders.
- Prepare Monthly, Quarterly and Annual reporting on all governance related matters
- Provide legal input where required on employment contracts, policies, vendor contracts, grant agreements and debt/equity transaction documents, with the help of external counsels if required
- Review and assign litigation matter to external counsel based on similarity of issues in question, i.e., Point of law, dispute, provincial law, relevant courts, etc.
- Any other task as may be required by Company Secretary to effectively provide governance support to the organization
- Minimum Bachelor degree in relevant field from a reputable international or Pakistani institution LLB/LLM will be preferred.
- Certification related to Company Secretary, Corporate Governance or Board certification training would be a plus
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience required.
- Prior experience of working in a section 42 company will be preferred
- Understanding of Companies Act and Not-for-Profit Regulations required
- Excellent report/minute writing and analytical skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders
- Self-driven with the ability to work independently and as part of an integrated, diverse team
- Ability to manage multiple and competing demands, and establish priorities
- Very strong sense of responsibility and integrity is a must
- Passion for Karandaaz mission and alignment with core values of the organization
Functional Skills / Knowledge Areas:
- Strong knowledge of Legal services
- Prior experience of being a Corporate Secretary would be highly preferred
- Thorough knowledge of corporate governance
- Prepared to undertake significant and ongoing professional development in order to stay current with a rapidly changing field
- Presentation, analytical and drafting skills
Culture and Values at Karandaaz
Karandaaz Culture is guided by our values of Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Equity (ICARE). These values shape our choices on what we do and how we do it, both with colleagues internally and partners externally. We also believe that we are all responsible for creating a great place to work and are constantly looking to hire individuals who bring the same level of passion and commitment to the purpose of the organization.
If you believe in Karandaaz vision and values and feel excited about the work we are offering, please send us your application for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line. We will be accepting submissions till 24th October 2021.
Karandaaz is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.