Manager Innovation, ICF & WV
Report to: Head of Innovation & MEL
Application deadline for the position is January 3, 2021
Guided by Karandaaz vision, we believe that every Pakistani deserves to be Financially Included and Economically Empowered. Our Mission at Karandaaz is to Foster economic growth and create jobs through financial inclusion of unbanked individuals and unserved enterprises.
Karandaaz Pakistan is a Non-profit organization, based out of Islamabad, registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan under Section 42 of the Companies Act 2017. We are supported by Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). Karandaaz is governed by an eminent board who set the strategy of the organization and steer it towards achievement of its objectives.
Karandaaz Pakistan seeks to hire a Manager Innovation, ICF & WV for the Karandaaz Innovation function for the management and implementation of its growing portfolios of Innovation Challenge Fund and Women Ventures. The successful candidate will work in close coordination with and report to Head of Karandaaz Innovation.
Karandaaz Innovation through its programmatic interventions, Innovation Challenge Fund (ICF) and Women Ventures (WV), aims to address gaps in the financial architecture to improve access to finance. The ICF is designed to overcome the challenges in financial inclusion by investing in innovative products and services. Karandaaz works with private sector firms to invite solutions to these challenges and reduce the risk of product development by funding the projects. Challenge funds are designed to leverage the innovative power and commercial instincts of the private sector, and financial service providers to overcome developmental challenges. The challenge fund can help overcome market failures that would otherwise prevent a solution-provider from making an initial investment, either from the cost of information discovery, costs of mitigating risks or simple lack of available funding. The incumbent will be responsible for research, selection and contracting of partners for challenge fund rounds, and its subsequent implementation.
Women Ventures is a programmatic intervention by Karandaaz to provide growth capital and business development support to female entrepreneurs who are aspiring to scale up expand their business operations. Women Ventures is currently supporting 18 women led businesses and has provided business development support to more than 65 businesses. These businesses belong to a range of sectors and are actively contributing to job creation and economic development. Women Ventures has also entered into institutional partnerships in order to expand its outreach and also to strengthen support available to businesswomen within the ecosystem. The incumbent will manage the selection and investment process for WV, as well as the post investment monitoring of selected women led businesses.
The incumbent will be supported by an Analyst level position in the execution of the responsibilities described above. The ideal candidate will have experience in working on grant design & management and have passion for private sector development, particularly the financial inclusion space. The candidate would have displayed versatility in the areas where they have worked.
- Undertake research and analysis to develop thematic concept notes for challenge rounds (these should include eligibility and selection criteria, advisory committee constitution, application forms, guidance notes and systems for fund disbursement, governance, transparency and performance monitoring etc.) and budgets.
- Manage the competitive process for challenge rounds, including outreach, lead generation, proposal screening and selection of partners with a special focus on innovation, “new to market” products and capacities of implementing partners.
- Manage the contracting of selected partners, including development of project milestones, deliverables, grant disbursement schedules and reporting templates.
- Monitor projects funded through ICF, including management of the funds disbursement process, assessment and oversight of key milestones, institutionalizing regular progress updates from partners, flagging delays and problems in implementation to Head ICF, and successfully closing projects.
- Regular engagement with ICF implementation partners during the design and implementation phase to keep track of implementation progress and timely redressal/flagging of implementation challenges.
- Take a lead in managing selection and investments under Women Ventures , including development of outreach campaign (in coordination with communication team), management of application and shortlisting process, selection of technical partners and delivery of business advisory services to selected businesses.
- Assist the Head Innovation in negotiating term sheets and contracts with winners of WV selection process.
- Oversee the post-investment monitoring process, manage relationship with investee companies and provide feedback to senior management on health and performance of the portfolio.
- Ensure a strong emphasis on due diligence, value for money, and transparency within Innovation activities.
- Proactively identify opportunities to highlight Innovation activities and outputs to relevant audiences through use of different communication platforms such as social and print media, events etc. and work closely with the Communications team to develop and document success stories and key lessons from ICF supported activities. These may include blogs, articles, videos and case studies.
- Work with the M&E team to ensure that development objectives of Innovation are measurable and reported at all stages. Assist M&E team in executing monitoring and evaluation of Innovation related activities.
- Develop annual and quarterly work plans, budget forecasts and updates and updating risk frameworks for review by Head Innovation
- Develop reports and documents for audiences such as Karandaaz sponsors, Board and Management Committee
- Manage internal and external audit processes as required under supervision of Head Innovation
- Any other task as may be required by the supervisor for achievement of the desired results.
Technical Skills, Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance or related field of study with an understanding of project management and social science research
- Minimum of six years of relevant experience in programme and grant management in the financial inclusion space. Experience in SME investment management will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience of client management, working independently, strategic thinking and managing a diverse project portfolio.
- Strong analytical skills in terms of research, sectoral analysis and programme design
- Excellent English writing and presentation skills
- Experience in working with various stakeholders from the public and private sectors.
- Knowledge of the financial access space and impact investing will be a significant advantage.
- Highly organized, with demonstrated project and time management skills
- Have strong decision-making skills, analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interface with and manage stakeholders at senior level
- Ability to work to multiple and tight deadlines with a commitment to quality, accuracy and attention to detail
- Team player and self-starter, shows initiative; works independently; has innate curiosity; passion for research, analysis and delivering insights to the market
- Ability to work with geographically dispersed multicultural teams.
- Ability to travel to different locations in Pakistan, as required.
Culture and Values at Karandaaz
Karandaaz Culture is guided by our values of Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Equity (ICARE). These values shape our choices on what we do and how we do it, both with colleagues internally and partners externally. We also believe that we are all responsible for creating a great place to work and are constantly looking to hire individuals who bring the same level of passion and commitment to the purpose of the organization.
If you believe in Karandaaz vision and values and feel excited about the work we are offering, please send us your resume for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line. We will be accepting submissions till 3rd January 2021.
Karandaaz is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.